Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle : May Episode 2
Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Include fibre in your diet.
- Clean cupboards of fattening foods. Lose weight slowly.
- Weigh yourself once a week.
- Get enough sleep. Understand portion sizes.
- Eat more fruits & vegetables.
- Limit alcohols to weekends.
- Chew sugarless gums.
- Keep a food diary.
- Celebrate success (but not with food).
- Get help & support from family & friends.
Strength & Cardio at home:
- Push up 5 – 10 times for arms, shoulder, and chest
- Abdominal sit up 5 – 10 times for stomach & abdominal muscles
- Half squat 5 – 10 times, for thighs & legs
- Spot running or skipping for 3 – 5 minutes, for legs, lungs, heart & blood circulation
- Deep breathing 5 – 10 times, for lungs & blood oxygenation
Sleepiness - Remedies:
- Optimal sleep required is 7 – 8 hours each night
- No TV, laptops, mobile phones in the bed room
- Quit smoking, avoid alcohol
- Lose weight, eat balanced diet & light meal at night
- Cut back on coffee, alcohol, soft drinks; especially at night.
- Keep your night room, dark & silent
- Fix fatigue & insomnia with light exercise daily
- Check for diabetes and anaemia.
- Schedule a half hour daily for light exercises.
Manage Stress while quitting:
- One reason people smoke is that the nicotine helps them relax.
- Once a person quits, he needs another way to relax.
- Try getting regular massages, listening to relaxing music, or learning yoga or Tai chi, all help.
- If possible, avoid stressful situations during the first few weeks after stopping smoking.
Tips for Healthy Eyes:
- Everyone including children should have an eye exam yearly.
- Inform your ophthalmologist about all ailments. HBP, Diabetes, etc. affect eyes.
- Rinse your eyes thoroughly with water every day during a bath.
- Always wear sunglasses in sunlight & safety glasses for recreational work.
- Look away from computer or TV every 20 minutes & blink eyes for moisture.
- Eat fresh vegetables & salad for good eye health.