Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle : June Episode 1
Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
The World's Best Diet:
- A panel of experts voted the DASH diet as the world's best all round health diet.
- Salient features include: Cut salt, avoid pickles; Eat grain, preferably whole grain
- Eat vegetable salads, preferably leafy;
- Eat one or two fruits daily
- Drink low fat milk/ yogurt
- Eat fish & poultry
- Add nuts & legumes
- Reduce oil, especially saturated oils;
- Avoid sugar & desserts.
- Undertake family walks together, do this at least once every week
- Play with the family dog, or walk the dog as a family.
- Family games, including football & basketball can be fun, play against other families too.
- Weekend cycling & swimming can make for good family time.
- Trekking, picnics & overnight camps outdoors, helps to promote fitness.
- Sign up for social sports events together, marathons, 10 K runs etc.
10 Stress Busters:
- Laugh out loud.
- Keep a pet
- Keep your surroundings tidy
- Sing a song.
- Complete house hold jobs.
- Take a walk or do some exercise.
- Have sex.
- Do deep breathing.
- Eat fresh fruit.
- Get a hobby.
Choose Your Reward:
- In addition to the tremendous health benefits, one of the perks of giving up cigarettes is all the money one saves.
- Reward yourself by spending part of it on something fun
Heart Attack Symptoms:
- Chest pain & discomfort
- Pain in the arms, back, neck or jaw
- Stomach pain (often mistaken for indigestion)
- Light heartedness
- Fatigue & Tiredness
- Do not neglect these symptoms, call for help immediately.
- Do not drive yourself to the hospital. Get an ambulance. It has the equipment required for emergency.