Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle : June Episode 3
Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
Energy & Mood Foods:
- Whole grains.
- Nuts (almonds, cashew, walnut).
- Lean meats (fish, poultry).
- Fish (salmon, tuna).
- Leafy green vegetables.
- Beans & legumes.
- Fresh fruits.
- Coffee/ Tea 3 - 4 cups.
- Chocolate (dark preferred).
- Light breakfast daily.
- Small meals.
- Water for hydration.
- Daily exercise.
- 8 hours sleep
7 Effective Exercises:
- Walk for 30 minutes, or, Walk and jog alternatively, 1 - 2 minutes each for 30 minutes;
- Squats (10 a day)
- Push-ups (10 a day)
- Abdominal sit ups (10 a day)
- Joint mobility exercises (10 each joint - Neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, waist, hip, knee, ankles)
- Deep breathing (10 a day)
Fight Afternoon Fatigue:
- Most of us experience an energy slump post lunch.
- The ways to overcome this are:
- Avoid a diet of simple carbohydrates (rice, bread) during lunch. Replace this with proteins (chicken, fish) & salads. The mid-day break is a good time to do your exercises.
- A half hour of walking, yoga, gym training is a good energy booster.
- The best remedy of course is 8 hours sleep every night.
- Physical activity can help reduce nicotine cravings and ease some withdrawal symptoms.
- When there is an urge for a cigarette, put on your jogging shoes.
- Mild exercise is helpful, try walking the dog, or pulling out weeds in the garden.
- The extra calories burnt also ward off weight gain from quitting smoking.
Exercise is Medicine:
- Research has found that moderate exercise of half an hour is as beneficial to people with cancer & heart ailments as is daily medication.
- The recommendation is to take medicine as prescribed & to add exercise daily to double the health benefits.
- The combination of exercise & medicine is beneficial to all medical ailments.