Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle : June Episode 5
Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
Tips to Lose Weight:
- Weigh yourself once a week using the same machine each time.
- The fats to avoid are saturated fats (butter, cheese, ghee), good oils include unsaturated fats (olive oil, groundnut oil, etc.).
- Drink a glass or two of water before each meal.
- Never skip breakfast or any other meal. It makes you over eat at the next meal.
- Eat slowly at 20 minutes each meal.
Alternate Ways to Exercise:
- Start with a 20-30 minute walk, before attempting trekking in hills & forests.
- Use a stick for support & balance.
- Walking up slopes is a good Cardio workout & walking in uneven ground strengthens the bones & improves balance.
- Always hike with a buddy for reasons of safety & carry a map of the region & be aware of weather conditions.
Brain Foods:( Broccoli):
- Broccoli is high in Vitamin K, which has been found to promote brain healing following trauma or illness.
- Broccoli contains sulforaphane, which has been found to fortify and repair the blood-brain barrier following damage from injury or illness.
- The blood-brain barrier is a membrane that serves as a filter of sorts, protecting the brain from potentially harmful chemicals that are present in the blood.
- One of the chief & significant causes of premature ageing of the face is smoking.
- Skin changes include leathery skin & deep wrinkling.
- Smoking leads to biochemical changes in the body that speed the aging process.
- Smoking deprives the living skin of oxygen by causing constriction of blood vessels. As a result, blood doesn't get to your organs such as the skin as easily.
- Avoid sugar in food (desserts) or in drinks (coffee, tea, aerated drinks). Eat fruits instead of desserts & water instead of sugar free drinks.
- Avoid rice, pasta, white bread. Eat whole grain & multigrain instead.
- Don’t have more than 1 or 2 drinks of alcohol per week.
- Lose weight & keep within your weight range.
- 30 minutes of walking daily or daily exercise.