Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle : September Episode 2
Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
Eat more fruits and vegetables:
- The best "diet" is one where you get to eat more food, not less.
- If you eat more fruits and vegetables, you will not feel as hungry because these nutrient-rich foods are also high in fiber and water, which can give you a feeling of fullness.
- Snacking can be a good thing as long as you choose smart snacks.
Gear up for the Marathon:
- You should train from 3 - 5 days a week with sufficient rest days in between.
- You should train for not less than 3 - 6 months for a marathon.
- Eat appropriately, hydrate sufficiently, and sleep for 7 - 9 hours daily during training.
- Never run when sick or fatigued & don't be afraid to take rest breaks of a day or so as required.
Avoid Daytime Drowsiness:
- Falling asleep during meetings or while driving, etc. is known as Hypersomnia. To avoid this
- Sleep 8 hours daily.
- Get to sleep and get up at fixed times daily.
- Eat meals at least 3-4 hours before sleeping.
- Exercise every day for 30 minutes.
- Avoid late afternoon naps.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol, and TV before bed.
- If drowsiness continues, see your doctor.
Prescribed Drugs & Nutrition Depletion:
- Most prescribed drugs deplete your body of healthy micro nutrients (minerals, vitamins & antioxidants) that come from the food we eat. Check with your physician for supplementary nutritional therapy when taking medications including, laxatives, antibiotics, cholesterol lowering drugs, steroids, (NSAIDS) antacids, oral contraceptives, sedatives, estrogen replacement, anti-depressants, amphetamines, diuretics, HBP medication, statins, etc (This list is not exhaustive).
Increase your metabolism:
- Build muscle, since muscles burn energy.
- Aerobic exercises (walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, etc.) increases heart rate & metabolism.
- Drink water, at least a litre or two daily, to increase metabolism.
- 6 small meals are better than 3 big meals for increasing metabolism.
- Spicy meals rev up metabolism.
- Protein foods (meat) increases metabolism more than carbohydrate foods.
- Coffee & green tea (of 3 – 4 cups a day) increase metabolism.
- Avoid low calorie diets & crash diets. This lower metabolism.