Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle : December Episode 2
Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
Weigh yourself once a week:
- People who weigh themselves regularly tend to have more weight loss success.
- But most experts suggest weighing yourself only once a week, so you're not derailed by daily fluctuations.
- When you weigh yourself, follow these tips: Weigh yourself at the same time of day, on the same day of the week, on the same scale, and in the same type of clothes
Starting Gym exercises:Is not only important for sportsmen or body builders, it is important for all of us. It will enable us to comfortably complete a days work, of carrying shopping bags, climbing a flight of stairs etc. It is especially important as we get older.
- You must engage a trainer to teach you how to use the gym machines & equipment
- Start with light weights in which you can do 8-12 repetitions in the arms & upper body &12-15 repetition in the legs & back
- A good starting weight for upper body & arms is 5-10kgs. & for lower body & legs -20-40kgs.
- As a beginner you should start with gym machines for safety reasons & move to free weight when proficient
- Practice for 3-4 days at least each week.
- Resting your muscles is very important for recovery. Depending on your type of program you must rest on alternate days, or at most after 2 consecutive days of gym work.
- This is the ability to bounce back & recover from stress & adversities, like health problems, job problems, financial problems, emotional problems etc. lack of resilience results in depression& anxiety. You can increase your resilience & resistance by
- Looking at the bright side of the problem.
- Leaning on your family & friends for support & advice
- Focusing on the positives & good things that are happening in your life
- Laugh more; watch funny movies, read joke books
- Meditate, relax, sleep, pray & exercise daily.
- According to Dr. Nancy Riogtti, Director Mass Genl Hospital, Tobacco Research Center, the best way to quit smoking is as follows.
- Use a two pronged approach of (a) Behavior Strategies including (counseling ,hypnosis , acupuncture ) & (b) Medicines including (Nicotine replacement therapy )
- As regards NRT, the use of multiple systems including the patch, chewing gum, lozenges, sprays & inhalers is recommended. However professional advice on dosage type & duration is advisable.
- Many studies have shown that a 12week course of medication (varenicline or bupropion) under medical advice is perhaps the best way to quit smoking .During medication, both NRT & Behavioral Therapy may be used as supportive therapy.
Promotes Oral Health:
- Green tea consumption is associated with improved dental health and a lower risk of cavities.
- The natural fluoride in green tea, polyphenols and catechins can effectively kill the bacteria that cause tooth decay, bad breath, cavities and various gum diseases.
- According to a study, consumption of one or more cups of green tea a day can significantly reduce the risk of tooth loss..